Friday, March 27, 2015

A Matzo that moves through you

I interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast of Facebook newsfeed to bring you this very important Broccoli-Mama announcement.  I'm putting my dietitian hat on today to tell you of a new food favorite--Manischewitz Kosher for Passover Whole Wheat Matzo.  I'm really impressed with the ingredients (there's just 2: whole wheat flour and water) and the nutritional analysis.  Just 70 calories in the sheet, (the non-kosher-for-Passover variety has more.  go figure), half a gram of fat, no cholesterol, 15 grams of carbs (that word everyone says in a hushed voice these days), a hearty 2 grams of fiber and a pretty nice 3 grams of protein.  It even has a bissel of iron.  Best part though is zero, that's right, zero milligrams of sodium.  And to give it this dietitian's seal of approval, it tastes really good!  For those of us of a certain age, I'd like to borrow the Vita-meata-vegamin girl's line--"It's so tasty too."  I have a full sheet for breakfast with almond butter (unsalted of course) or will have it spread with tuna salad for lunch.  Broccoli Rob likes it with cream cheese and lox, which ups the fat and salt, but that's what he likes.

Watching our saturated fat and sodium is important for our health, helping keep our arteries flowing smoothly and keeping blood pressure controlled.  The fiber is a help to our large intestine, keeping what's in there flowing smoothly as well.  Sufficient fiber has been linked to a lower risk of colon cancer.  And you know the reputation regular matzo has after 8 days of the Passover holiday.

The Manishewitz Matzo Co. of Jersey City
When selecting any Passover item (and I admittedly don't use many Passover foods since I don't adhere to the dietary restrictions for Passover), I always select Manishewitz.  And why Manishewitz? It's the company that was in Jersey City for many years and I want to be loyal to anything Jersey City.  My friend, Ira Rubin, worked at Manishewitz during its heyday and occasionally would bring us samples of Passover goodies and gave me and my kids a tour of the facility, even letting them climb on the mile-high cases of matzo.

So, like the Vita-meata-vegamin girl, the answer to all your problems is in this little bottle (but for poetic license, we'll substitute "little box").  Get some Manishewitz Kosher for Passover whole wheat matzo today. Wink at camera.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment